< 23-05-2018 - 07:51

Three Blue Hors stallions temporarily out of the breeding program

After foals being born in the United States with Warmblood Fragile Foal Syndrome this spring, pointed us at the WFFS gene that active breeding stallion can be carrier of. That is why we had our stallions tested. Unfortunately has shown that three of our stallions are carrier.

We have taken the lead in testing our stallions for the WFFS-gene. Fortunately, it has been found that Blue Hors Zackerey, Blue Hors Olymbrio, Blue Hors Don Farrell, Blue Hors Fifty Cent, Blue Hors Zack, Blue Hors Rockefeller and Blue Hors St. Schufro all tested negative and do not carry the WFFS-gene.

Tests have shown that Blue Hors Londoner, Blue Hors Veneziano and Blue Hors Emilio are carrier of the WFFS-gene. Therefore, we decided to take these three stallions temporarily out of the breeding program. From the first four foal crops of Veneziano and the first crop of Emilio, there are no foals known at Blue Hors that were born with the Fragile Warmblood Foal Syndrome.

"For breeders, who previously have used a stallion who is a carrier of the WFFS gene, it is recommended that in the future their offspring will be tested before they are used for breeding. Since the disease reveals shortly after the birth of the foals, there is no risk related to its use in the sport of older horses", says Blue Hors veterinarian Jesper Møller Nielsen.

The studbooks still have not taken a position about the disease and the World Breeding Federation has announced it will soon be on the agenda. "Until then it seems safest no to breed to the stallions, who carry the WFFS gene", said veterinarian Jesper Møller Nielsen.


What are WFFS?

Foals with Warmblood Fragile Foal Syndrome can abort or are born premature, weak, unable to stand up and/or with abnormalities, especially in the skin, so they must be killed a few days after birth.

The disorder is caused by a so-called receding gene. This means that the foal must have it from both mother and father to the disease comes to expression. Conversely, a horse that only carries the gene from one of his parents inherit it along to its offspring without even having the disease. If both the Stallion and Mare are carriers of the gene, there will be 25% chance of getting a foal with the disease, just as there will be 50% chance of getting an offspring that carry the gene without disease and 25% chance of getting an offspring that does not bear the gene for the disease. In the event that only one of the parents are carriers of the gene for WFFS will none of the offspring get the disease in the outbreak, but 50% of the birth of foals will be carriers of the gene.